John Lessel is a member of RMP since July 1, 2020. He was in solo practice from January 1996 until his association with RMP. He is a former member of Mitchell, Williams, Selig, Gates & Woodyard, PLLC from 1981 through 1995 where John served as administrative partner, on the management committee and chair of tax practice group. John was admitted to practice in California in 1976 (now inactive) and in Arkansas in 1978.
- Juris Doctor. with Honors, University of San Diego 1976
- LL.M., Taxation, University of San Diego 1981
- B.S., Aerospace Engineering, University of Oklahoma 1970
- Estate Planning, Trusts and Post-Death Estate Administration
- Tax planning for Corporations, Limited Liability Companies, Partnerships and Individuals
- Private Placement Securities Offerings
- Entity Organization and Operation
- Business Sales, Acquisitions and Financing
Community & Recognitions
- Designated naval aviator, 1972, and served in Navy Judge Advocate General’s Corps 1976-1981. Attained rank of LCDR, JAGC, USNR.
- Served as Program Chairman, Tax Awareness Institute, AICLE. Chairman, Taxation Section, Arkansas Bar
- Recipient of Best of CLE award, Arkansas Bar Association, 1994 and 1995.
- Recipient of Meritorious Recognition for Continuing Professional Education, Arkansas Society of Certified Public Accountants, 1994, 1995 and 1996. C.M. “Mac” Angel Discussion Leader of the Year award, 1997.
Chairman, Arkansas Tax Liaison Committee, 2000-2001, continued as member until 2013.
- Selected for Best Lawyers in America since 1993.
- Elected a Fellow of The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC), 1996.
- Speaker at tax programs for lawyers, bankers, accountants and other professionals.
- Hobbies include photography, woodworking and instructing at Porsche Club of America high performance drivers’ education and BMW Club of America drivers’ school weekends.
Associations & Memberships
- Association, 1988-1989. Member, House of Delegates, Arkansas Bar Association, 1993-1997. Has provided technical assistance to Arkansas General Assembly on state tax legislation.
- Charter member of Arkansas Chapter of National Council on Planned Giving, 1993; President, 1997.
- Member, Community Advisory Board, Donald W. Reynolds Institute on Aging, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, 2002-2013, Chairman 2012-2013.
- 8th Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court (Western and Eastern)
Most Rewarding Aspect of Work
- I really enjoy working closely with my clients, getting to know their goals and dreams for the future. This allows me to provide the best guidance to reach my their personal, financial and family needs.